Monday, January 9, 2017
Gifts and Homage through the Magi's: Epiphany
Listen to the homily here.
The Epiphany…the light of Jesus Christ
“When Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, in the days of King Herod, behold, magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem…”
· Magi = astronomy/astrologists
· Finding the new king
· Finding the star
“They prostrated themselves and did him homage. Then they opened their treasures and offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.”
· Gold: royalty for a king
o Which he offer went to the poor
· Frankincense: priest with prayers
· Myrrh: suffering and death
What do you give to Jesus Christ?
· Time? Talent? Treasure?
· Serving at Mass?
· Sharing the Body of Christ as a Eucharistic Minister in Mass or to the hospital?
· Several uses in the Psalm and the Gospel today
· Homage is “special honor or respect shown publicly”
· The magi gave homage…laid down before the child
· How do you homage Jesus?
o At Mass you kneel
o What about outside of Mass?
o Before meals?
o Before/after a game?
Take the thoughts of these magi to your life