Wednesday, January 18, 2017

For me, or for God?: 2nd Sunday of Ordinary Time

Listen to the homily here.

Notes:
God has called each of us on a mission
·      Not just Pope Francis
·      Not just our Bishop
·      Not just sisters and nuns
·      Not just priests
·      Each of us have a mission
Think about the missions in each of our readings
·      Israel, the beginning “family” from God:
o   The LORD said to me: You are my servant, Israel, through whom I show my glory.”
o    
·      St. Paul:
o   Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God…with all those everywhere who call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord…”
·      John the Baptist:
o   Now I have seen and testified that he is the Son of God.”
Active vs. Passive
·      What did God tell the Israelites?
o   I show my glory
·      What did God call Paul?
o   Paul was called…by the will of God
·      What did God show John the Baptist?
o   He [Jesus] is the Son of God
I believe that our culture is often backwards for our “missions”
·      Really, it’s either me or God
o   My projects, my possessions, my health, my money, my car, my family
o   Or: are these God’s?
One great prayer…great discerning…great answer was from our responsorial psalm:

·      “Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.”

No comments:

Post a Comment