Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The body vs. the soul: Daily Mass Homily--Tuesday, September 2nd, 2014


            Yesterday I spoke about a major theme in Paul’s writing and preaching—the crucified Christ.  Today we see a different theme frequent in Paul’s letters: the interior battle between the spirit and the flesh.
            When we were created, our body and spirit were in perfect harmony.  Since sin entered the world this is no longer the case.
            One of my professors in seminary used a specific example to show how the body and soul are no longer in concert.  I think he was losing his memory, because he told us the same story every week, and sometimes several days in a row!  He had health issues which needed to be addressed by dieting and he often told us, “My body wants to eat chips, but I know I cannot.  Yet I still want them!”  Day after day we heard the same story and we concluded, this guy must really love chips!
            There are all sorts of examples of how our bodies and minds are in conflict.  Each one of us has probably dozed off in a homily or at a meeting despite our best efforts.  We know exercise is good for us, but it is difficult to get off the couch.  And why eat salad when a burger tastes better?
            We just heard St. Paul distinguishing from the natural man and the spiritual man: “Now the natural man does not accept what pertains to the Spirit of God, for to him it is foolishness, and he cannot understand it, because it is judged spiritually.  The one who is spiritual, however, can judge everything but is not subject to judgment by anyone.”  The natural man remains at the level of the flesh, where the spiritual man conforms his life to the spirit.
            In Romans Paul writes more intimately about the battle he faces between the flesh and spirit: “I do not understand my own actions.  For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.”
            There is a battle going on in our souls every day.  Today, may we allow the Spirit of Christ to conform our bodies to His will.

No comments:

Post a Comment