Monday, September 22, 2014

St. John Paul II's inspiration for my priesthood: Daily Mass Homily--Monday, September 22nd


            In 2002 I went to World Youth Day in Toronto, Canada to be with thousands of other Catholics and John Paul II.  The theme was “You are the light of the world…you are the salt of the earth”—a similar theme as our Gospel this morning.  In it we learned what it meant to be light in a world of darkness and salt in bland worldly societies.
            A powerful moment of World Youth Day came on the day JPII arrived.  My buddies and I got up at 5:00am and arrived at the venue at 8:00am to get a good spot.  We waited for nine hours right next to the road where he would pass.  When he did it was as if a force traveled with the Pope.  Everyone in his path was touched by the Holy Spirit with laughter or tears.  He looked right at our group and waved!
            I consider St. John Paul II one of my heroes and mentors in my priesthood.  Especially as a new pastor, I have noticed three qualities I want to emulate which have been inspired by JPII.  First, he loved being with people.  I find the greatest joys of priesthood is when I am with you—at Church, in your homes, teaching the faith and helping prepare for baptisms, weddings and funerals.
            I hope to follow John Paul II’s great witness of hope.  No matter what challenges we face at our parishes, God is real, Jesus came and the battle was won on the cross. 
            Finally, John Paul II never settled for mediocrity.  Our Church in the USA often finds herself hunkered down and in a defensive mode against the world.  Forget that!  We need to go on the offensive, making disciples and inviting those to join us.  We have the best family in the world that is filled with the Holy Spirit.  It is not enough to say, “We’ve never done this before,” or, “That won’t work.”  Pope Francis has challenged us to cause a ruckus for our faith and I will not settle for mediocrity here.
            May we, too, grow in our relationships with our family, living out the virtue of hope and leaving any sense of mediocrity for excellence.

No comments:

Post a Comment