Thursday, September 4, 2014

Homily during the Mass for the Dead offered for Fr. Kevin Abakisi + : 9-4-14


Last evening and this morning, our pilgrims who visited Ghana last January gathered again to pray.  As we prepared for our travels last fall, we made a Holy Hour every week to intercede for a successful trip.  We were united in prayer once more on behalf of our late brother and friend Fr. Kevin Abakisi.

Our prayers were united with the various funeral liturgies and prayers offered in the Diocese of Navrongo-Bolgatanga, Ghana.  Our 8:00pm Holy Hour took place while Fr. Kevin's body laid in state as men and women held vigil for him overnight.  Our 5:00am Mass coincided with the beginning of the funeral Mass offered for him.

I was inspired and grateful for the many students, parents and teachers who joined.

Below is the homily I gave as we offered Mass for Fr. Kevin:        

           The last time I spoke with Fr. Kevin was on the phone.  Our conversation ended abruptly as he hung up on me.  This may or may not have been done after I had called him in the 88th minute of the USA vs. Ghana World Cup soccer match!  After four long years of hearing Fr. Kevin and his brothers from Ghana rub in our last defeat, I was excited to return the favor, as we were victorious over my friends.
            This is what I will miss most about Fr. Kevin.  With similar senses of humor, my time with Fr. Kevin featured much joy.  He had a brilliant smile an exuberant laugh that lit up a room.
            In God’s providence, a line stands out from our daily Mass readings which we read for this Mass for the Dead.  The psalmist posed a question and then an answer: “Who can ascend the mountain of the LORD? or who may stand in his holy place?  He whose hands are sinless, whose heart is clean, who desires not what is vain.”
            “[He] who desires not what is vain.”  Fr. Kevin was far from vane—he was inspiringly generous.  Knowing Fr. Kevin (as well as Frs. Albert, Robert and Peter) has changed my life and my priesthood.  They helped me see the many gifts God has given me as a middle-class citizen of the United States of America.  They have also inspired me to share these gifts with those in need.
            Over the years I personally witnessed Fr. Kevin’s charity towards others.  With what little money he had to his name he paid family medical bills, tuition costs for children, food for the hungry and other necessities for those he served.  He thought of the needs of others and gave whatever he could to assist them.
            In light of Fr. Kevin’s death, I would like to quote Fr. Rich [my former pastor] as I heard him preach at two funerals in which the individual took his own life.  He preached: “Suicide is evil.  But the person who commits suicide is not.” 
            Only God and Fr. Kevin know what was going through his mind when he died.  This leaves us confused with many questions unanswered.  Now we bring all of these difficult emotions and questions to the Lord and trust in His mercy.
            This morning we gather to pray for this great man, great priest and great friend.  We do so in unity with our brothers and sisters in the Diocese of Navrongo-Bolgatanga who are currently praying at Fr. Kevin’s funeral Mass 6,000 miles away.  We also pray for his mother, siblings and family as well as Bishop Agyenta and the priests of this beautiful diocese.
            I am grateful that Fr. Francis Kodelego, the rector of Notre Dame high school seminary, is with us this morning.  His presence reflects the relationship that continues to grow between us and his diocese and helps us—as I pray it helps him—in this difficult time.
            With conflicted hearts which are saddened by Fr. Kevin’s lost, but grateful for the many gifts he shared, we humbly beseech the Lord on behalf of our brother.
            Fr. Kevin Apatewen Abakisi, may you rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment