Sunday, April 23, 2017
We know the story...but God always renews our spiritual life: Holy Thursday
Listen to the homily here.
The Last Supper
· We are told to preach about the Eucharist and the Priesthood
· John 13: “Before the feast of Passover, Jesus knew that his hour had come to pass from this world to the Father. He loved his own in the world and he loved them to the end.”
We saw the “type”—a foreshadow—for Jesus’ Body and Blood
· Exodus 12: "This is how you are to eat it: with your loins girt, sandals on your feet and your staff in hand, you shall eat like those who are in flight. It is the Passover of the LORD.”
o This is what we wear for Mass!
o Yes, for the liturgy of the word and the liturgy of the Eucharist
o But we are called to go out to share the Good News!
§ Those who are in flight!
§ Freedom through the light of faith vs. the darkness of sinfulness
· “For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes.”
· This is love…Jesus’ Body and Blood
· Jesus Christ was the sacrifice, altar and priest giving us his body and blood
· And he passed this to each priest
· Sacraments: baptism, confession, Eucharist, confirmation, anointing of the sick (we do not offer marriage or holy orders)
o These are the essential jobs for a priest
§ In persona Christi: “In the person of Christ”
o “I baptize you…”
o “This is my body…this is my blood…”
o “I absolve you from your sins…”
§ Or in the Apostolic pardon: “I grant you a full pardon and the remission of all your sins…”
· This is love!
And now we show another facet of love: serving our brothers and sisters…our neighbors
· To wash their feet