Sunday, April 23, 2017
The best story in all of history: Easter
Listen to the homily here.
Today we listen to the best chapter of our story through humanity: The Resurrection of Jesus Christ
· The Exultant: “May this flame be found still burning by the Morning Star: the one Morning Star who never sets, Christ your Son, who, coming back from death’s domain, has shed his peaceful light on humanity, and lives and reigns for ever and ever.”
· Disciples began with terror, they were scared and cowardice after Jesus died
· Then they went out to share the Good News
o Many then gave their mission: to preach the Messiah: Jesus Christ
· Many were killed, which only grew God’s family
· Now we have 2 billion people!
How can you grow in the Good News of Jesus Christ?
· “Then the angel said to the women in reply, "Do not be afraid! I know that you are seeking Jesus the crucified. He is not here, for he has been raised just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples, 'He has been raised from the dead…”
· Having a relationship with Jesus Christ
o A disciple!
o An evangelist!
o Share the good news!
· Each of you—baptized brothers and sisters
o As priests, prophets and servers
· We can not be lukewarm—there is a line in the sand—either with Jesus Christ, or against Jesus Christ
o And we must have the courage to introduce Jesus Christ who is the way, the truth and the life
· Small steps
o Do you want your child to be baptized?
o Do you want to have your child receive his or her first communion?
o Do you want to receive forgiveness, peace and mercy through your sins?
o Do you want to be confirmed?
o Do you want to be married in God’s house?
o Do you want a loved one to receive the anointing of the sick?
This is one of the most important steps
· We received each of these through God—Father, Son and Holy Spirit
· We receive these gifts through the only person in history who defeated death itself
Jesus Christ showed a new path: resurrection
· “For if we have grown into union with him through a death like his, we shall also be united with him in the resurrection.”
· Which gives us the best gift to us: resurrection at the end of our lives, to watch the gates of heaven