Sunday, April 2, 2017
Blessed Jesus Christ, true God and true Man: 5th Sunday of Lent
Listen to the homily here.
Blessed Jesus Christ, true God and true Man
Jesus was a man
· He was born from his Mother: Mary
· He was a baby, a child, an adult
· He had a body…a heart, lungs, digestion
This passage shows Jesus Christ as a man
· “Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus.”
o Some of his best friends
· “When Jesus saw [Mary] weeping and the Jews who had come with her weeping, he became perturbed and deeply troubled…”
· “And Jesus wept.” Or “Jesus wept.”
o He cried…
o He showed his humanity with every types of emotion
· “So Jesus, perturbed again”
Jesus was God
· Jesus said, "Take away the stone."
· "Lord, by now there will be a stench; he has been dead for four days." Jesus said to her, "Did I not tell you that if you believe you will see the glory of God?"
· "Father, I thank you for hearing me. I know that you always hear me; but because of the crowd here I have said this, that they may believe that you sent me."
· “He cried out in a loud voice, "Lazarus, come out!" The dead man came out, "Untie him and let him go."
· Jesus brought a dead man back into life
In our history, we have human religious leaders
· Buddhism: Buddha (6th-7th before Jesus Christ)
· Islam: Muhammad (6th century)
· Joseph Smith: Mormons (early 19th century)
· Charles Russel: Jehovah Witnesses (later 19th century)
· These were men and no one was called a god too
In our history, we have gods
· Greek, Romans, etc.
· Dozens of gods…but not humans
Jesus Christ is both man and God
· He himself is the middle of all history
Jesus asked Mary, "Did I not tell you that if you believe you will see the glory of God?"
· Do you believe in Jesus Christ was both man and God?
· Listen through or Creed that came together what we really believe as Catholics and Christians!