Monday, May 2, 2016
Treasure: 6th Sunday of Easter Season
Listen to the homily.
I have preached about stewardship—time, talent and treasure
· I like what St. Luke wrote in Acts: “The apostles and elders, in agreement with the whole church…”
· We must help our whole Church
o Our churches, our school, our Diocese, the poor and the sick
Next weekend I will have a bulletin article about this
Koochiching is in a difficult time
· Less families, less kids, less jobs, tough economy
· This weekend I want to speak about treasure
I want to share the treasure I try
· I do not have a wife or children
· I do not pay for my house or my groceries
· I was in college and seminary with many gifts to me (without paid)
o And now it is awesome to give that back to people
But I only want to share how me, as a priest, in treasure
· A priest taught us in the seminary (now a Bishop Andrew Cozzens) to have a second check for gifts to others
o I put about 5% to this check…could you do that?
o About 5% I divides my payment to the Church, School and UCA
§ How are you doing in this?
· One time, a priest was in town for a weekend and I bought dinner
o He said, “Why are you paying this dinner? Your Church should.”
o I said, “No.” Many people here cannot buy such meals, and nor should our Church
· Have I bought any alcohol from your plate?
· I must simple my own life because it is difficult up here
o No cable for your plate ($1,000) without cable…could you try that?
o No garbage business…I’ll bring them to our Church’s garbage dump
Today I would like you to think about two other ideas
· I’m not thinking numbers, but what you can give treasure
o UCA second collection today
§ We will begin our 2016 in a couple of weeks
§ We have about $9,000 from 2015…can you do it?
o Operation Rice Bowl
§ I am having fun keeping this up in my truck
§ Could you do this? Get a roll of pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters from the bank? Or more dollars? When you leave your house? Get in your car?
§ This can help the poor and the sick
Stewardship is time, talent and treasure
· The best we can be to our family is to use what you can give
I’m not talking about the numbers because we can each give some treasure
· The poor Widow at the Temple gave two pennies
· And Jesus said that she gave the most
“The apostles and elders, in agreement with the whole church…”