Sunday, May 8, 2016
Mother's Day and the Ascension: 7th Sunday (Ascension) of Easter Season
Listen of the homily here.
Happy Mother’s Day!
· Each one of us was born by a woman—a mother. Thank her!
Big weekend for Mother’s as well as Jesus Christ
· Mother Mary
· But we all call Mary—Mother Mary as she is our spiritual Mother
· In some ways, I wish this would not just “Mother’s Day” but “Spiritual Mother’s Day”
o Some women cannot have a child
o Women, and men, can be a “Mom or Dad” in a spiritual way
§ Adoption children
§ Aunts and Uncles with nephews and nieces
· I am a priest…I have no children
o But my name is “Father”—which means I have “spiritual” children!
· Today, I thank you women, mothers and spiritual mothers
Today is the Ascension of Jesus Christ
· St. Luke’s wrote our first reading, the Acts of the Apostles as well as the Gospel
· Two volumes
o Gospel is about Jesus Christ
o Acts of the Apostles is about the history of the beginning of our Church
· Ascension is the end of the Gospel of Luke
o “Then he led them out as far as Bethany, raised his hands, and blessed them. As he blessed them he parted from them and was taken up to heaven.”
· Ascension is the beginning of the Acts of the Apostles
o “In the first book, Theophilus, I dealt with all that Jesus did and taught until the day he was taken up…”
Two ways to learn about Jesus Christ and his Mother
· St. Luke’s Gospel and the Acts of the Apostles
o It would be a great read!
· Rosary—Glorious Mystery
o 1st: Resurrection (Easter)
o 2nd: Ascension of Jesus Christ (This weekend)
o 3rd: Pentecost of the Holy Spirit—(Next weekend)
o 4th: Assumption of Mother Mary (to heaven, like the ascension)
o 5th: The Coronation of Mother Mary, Queen of the Universe
Happy Mother’s Day and praise God to Mother Mary, Jesus Christ on the ascension and the Holy Spirit on Pentecost next Sunday