Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Parish Bulletin Article: (The Second and Third Laps in Advent): 12-9-18

            My favorite race in high school was the 1600m (close to one mile) race.  This event in track and field occurs with four laps, which I have mentioned before that I enjoy realizing that Advent, too, has four laps before Christmas!
In this dynamic race in this event, I will never forget how I used the end of each lap to notice how I was feeling, what the pace was, and how I could continue to focus on my goal for that day.
We should do the same thing in Advent in your opportunities to grow in this season.  I recommend that every Saturday evening or Sunday to think about how your goals are going. Are you on pace on your way to Christmas as we begin our second lap?  Are you taking time to pray during this secular busyness world?  Are you experiencing joy?  Anticipation?  Silence? Serving?  Sacrifice?
Also, during our third week in Advent, you have some powerful moments at both St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Columban.  On Tuesday, December 18th, you will be able to experience some thoughts from Ben Frost, a man who is working at Holy Spirit (Virginia, MN) and will offer some opening doors in your life, Eucharistic Adoration and having time for confession with me or other priests to prepare your hearts before Christmas arrives.
On Wednesday (19th), we will once again offer Mass at 6:30pm and move right back into Eucharistic Adoration, and I will continue to provide confessions.
On Thursday (20th), we will have Eucharistic Adoration as well as confessions with Fr. Nick Nelson (a pastor for St. Mary, Cook, St. Martin, Tower, and Holy Cross, Orr) or me. 
Finally, I offer this information in the third week of Advent, which began with Gaudete—rejoice!  May we challenge ourselves during this second week and pull out your calendar for the third week in Advent. 
Continue to keep your pace, and even extend it, to run this race to prepare for the glorified participation in Christmas!
God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment