Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Parish Bulletin Article: "Change things Around": 12-23-18

Earlier this month our students performed a yearly pageant that included a concert and a play.  I was proud of them with their talents in music, acting, singing, and art, as well as gratitude with our teachers, musician and more.  The music allowed them to perform with their instruments at a young age, as well as all of our students in the play called “The Case of the Reluctant Innkeeper.”
Now, why would I write this within a bulletin that creates some challenges as it will be read after the fourth (and last) Sunday in Advent, as well as Christmas?
Two thoughts.  
First, two verses.  One of my favorite verses in the Bible is a simple quote that I have used dozens of times at St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Columban and St. Thomas Aquinas School: “…Jesus said, ‘Let the children come to me…” (Matthew 19:14).  I believe that Jesus wants his children to be with him, not only to Mass but in their lives as well as your lives.
And then, remember (or learn) what Jesus taught his disciples, and us today? “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 18:3). Was Jesus saying that kids were perfect? Are your kids just like angels?  I doubt it! (and I praise you, parents, raising up your kids eventually to be adults within all the challenges, moments, hours, days, weeks and years).  
But kids do have some things that we adults sometimes forget, like imagination, timelessness, believing that someone else must take care of their needs, like food, shelter, clothes, etc.  Sometimes we think that we can control everything in our lives, and forget that we too, must need someone beyond ourselves—God.
My second thought was my experience with a Christmas song that I never heard before called “Change Things Around” within our schools’ play.  As our students sang, I simply heard beauty with their voices, goosebumps with the lyrics and my misty eyes as connecting these simple words reminding ME of what God HAS done in our lives.  I mean, read these words!: “Are you up against a wall and feeling mighty small?  There’s no one in the inn, and you need someone to call. Don’t call information, ‘cause God has got the plan.  We don’t have to worry.  Just pray and know He can change things around, change things around!  God sent His Son, the Holy One, to change things around. Jesus is love.  He’s come from heav’n above.  When down is up and up is down our God can change things around.”
No matter what your age is, let us allow God in our hearts to change our lives around, back to Him.  That’s what we ought to do like children.  
Happy Advent, merry, merry Christmas, and know that you are always welcome at God’s house, family and friendship at St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Columban and St. Thomas Aquinas School.
God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment