Wednesday, August 2, 2017
"The new and the old...": 17th Sunday of Ordinary Time
Listen to the homily here.
“The new and the old…”
· We have each seen this in our lives
o Parents: with your children, don’t you have “new” and “old” clothes
§ Your children grow like weeds!
§ Think of your baby’s clothes...and then you don’t have any babies…you probably have some “old” clothes
· Baptismal dress
§ But they are always getting “new” clothes
· New or pass down clothes!
Jesus said: “Then every scribe who has been instructed in the kingdom of heaven is like the head of a household who brings from his storeroom both the new and the old.”
Think about the new and old things in our parishes
· People! Babies, little ones, elementary, high school, adults
o Those brand new to learn and those who have wisdom
· Our gifts
o Our rectory! A new and old!
o Our decisions for our property
o Things in the parishes
o Old stuff: if you haven’t used it for a year, give it away
o New stuff: we all need some new stuff: food, water, shelter
§ But in our culture
I hope that we never have new or old…but both
Finally, we can always grow to be “scribes” following Jesus Christ
· As Catholics we always have new opportunities, serving, reading, sacraments
· And each of us have been given talents which can be both old and new