Sunday, September 11, 2016
Good News for us Sinners: 24th Sunday of Ordinary Time
Listen to the homily here.
“Tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to listen to Jesus…”
· Isn’t that good news for sinners?
· Yes…sinners…every one of us
· We sinners must draw close to listen to Jesus Christ
And Jesus welcomes us sinners even before we seek him
· “the Pharisees and scribes began to complain, saying, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”
Listen to some inspiring words from God for us sinners
· St. Paul said (to a letter to St. Timothy): “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners.”
· Jesus said in the Gospel of Luke:
o “there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance.”
o “there will be rejoicing among the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”
Two thoughts through God’s Word for us individually and the way our family can grow
· 1.) If you think you are perfect…“righteous”, you are wrong
o Listen to what Jesus taught (not me!)
§ “I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”
§ “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick; I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”
o Listen to Jesus!
o Seek repentance, forgiveness and Confession
§ This is a free gift and it will take a couple of minutes to be forgiven for all of your sins
· 2.) Many have “drifted away” from Church and religion in our country
o Catholics, Lutherans, Christians, religions in our country
o Our goal is to welcome people back
§ Back to Church
§ Back to our Catholic family
§ Back to forgiveness
§ Back to Confession
o As a priest one of my goals to meet people, grow in a relationship to grow as them as people, and then invite them to Church and Confession
§ But you can get many more people than I can!
§ The more you listen to Jesus, the more you will share the Good News
§ The more you seek forgiveness in your sins, you can welcome many, many people as a family
Are we each sinners? Yes.
Is Jesus Christ the one who wants each of us in a relationship? In love? In forgiveness? In salvation? Yes.
Listen to Jesus Christ as sinners…and invite many other sinners that are not here…because Jesus wants them back