Thursday, November 7, 2019

Parish Bulletin Article: "My Health Process in Mass": 10-6-19

Thank you for your prayer and support in my journey, lately, with my experience at Mayo.  As I spoke last weekend after Mass, I shared some new tidbits for my health. I told you about my discernment and actions if anything occurs with my brain during Mass.  Just know that I will continue to keep a bottle of water by my chair, as well as medicine in my pocket.  Here are some more details if I have a migraine (as I had a few migraines in my life before my stroke, but more after it), seizures (which I never had one before the stroke) or a stroke itself:
Migraine:
·      The most challenging experience is not about a headache, but if I have an aura, which would cause difficulties with my vision, thus:
o   1) If I cannot read the Gospel, I would ask the lector to stay by the ambo as I would still lift the Gospel during the Alleluia and bring it to the ambo.  I would continue with “The Lord be with you…” and “A reading from the Gospel according to N.”  I would then go back to my chair as the lector would read the Gospel.  When they conclude the Gospel, I will go back to the Gospel to kiss it and then:
§  A)  I knew that I could give the sermon or:
§  B)  We would offer silent prayer until my aura is finished and Mass would proceed.
o   2) I believe that I could continue the Mass if the aura takes place between the homily and the Eucharistic Liturgy (and yes, this had happened during one or two Masses!).
o   3) Whenever an aura occurs, I would drink water and take medicine.
Seizure:
·      As I am already on seizure medicine, my seizure would probably be a “simple seizure.” I would probably still be conscious, able to read and speak, though I could be warm, “spaced out,” odd hearing, taste or emotions which you may not notice.  I would drink water and use my medicine, and this, too, has occurred once or twice during Mass and was A-Okay to offer this sacrament.
Stroke:
·      I have never had a stroke during Mass.  Let’s pray that this never happens!  I will remind the following information and symptoms from Stroke Association if anyone else experiences: 
o   1.    Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body; 
o   2.    Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding; 
o   3.    Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes; 
o   4.    Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination; 
o   5.    Sudden, severe headache with no known cause. 
·      Now, I would probably notice the above before anyone else.  At the same time, if you see me with #1 or #4, immediately call 911 as, “Time lost is brain lost!”. #2, #3 and #5 are fascinating, as they could be a migraine or seizure (and yes, our brains can be nuts!).  Praise God; I knew when I needed to go to the ER during my massive stroke and a mini-stroke.  At the same time, if you notice these symptoms, act quickly, calmly and prayerfully call 911 if it occurs to me, or anyone else.
From the above, if I must leave Mass, please complete what an EM is allowed for a Communion Service.
Thank you again from my parishioners and my family.

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment