Thursday, November 7, 2019

Parish Bulletin Article: "Fundraising": 11-3-19

Last week I had a message from my sister-in-law, which included a video. It was indeed a charming video as my nephew was sharing about his Catholic School.  Mom continued to support him to explain what he and his classrooms were doing.  By the end of the video, my nephew said, "I will be raking and asking for money for our church and school!"
I then called back a couple of days later and put her and him on FaceTime. As he is four years old, and running back and forth to the phone, I said, "Buddy, you sent a video for me [his Uncle Father].  What are you guys doing at your school." He responded, "We're doing a Rake-A-Thon!" I chuckled as we had just done our Rake-A-Thon, so I asked him a question, to probe his mind and his own goal."  "How much money do you want?" I asked.  Do you know what this four-year-old responded?  Well, here you go, "Ummm…one thousand sixty-six dollars."
As I was smiling, I said, "That a boy, businessman!"
I enjoy speaking to people that could support our parishes and our school. As I do so, I do not merely ask for money.  I am not a teller caller, but a brother with another son or daughter of God. I'll ask about how their life is going on if they have hobbies if they work if they have children or grandchildren.  As I converse with these people is not merely to ask for money but to first connect with them.
Then, like my nephew, I would explain what we could use for help, support, and asking for their connection to our parishes and our school.  And then I would ask the question about money.
Here are some critical points that I have learned over the last many years. First, have a conversation, and try to continue that connection more than just once.  Talk about life.  Open your ears to listen if they need any prayers, or even pray with them on the phone or face to face as I am not a business person, but a brother, a human person and as a priest.  I love sharing about our family and community under God's kingdom.  Before I ask that question, I discern what level of finances in my gut, and I always, like my nephew, ask something more substantial than I think they could give, not to enter a banter, but to be honest.  
If this process is not face-to-face in a coffee shop, at a house, at a restaurant, here is one more effective growth in fundraising with letters.  As I sent 48 letters during our Rake-A-Thon, I received 12 letters back.  I will then call, text, or message them back to remind them about our goal for this event.
As St. Theresa of Calcutta said, "Love to be real, must cost, it must hurt, it must empty us of self."
When I talk about money with other people, I must do so myself.  I always remind myself that any fundraising chatting must include prayerfulness and belief in God's providence both when I ask for money, as well as offering gratitude and prayers.
Today I opened a letter from my nephew.  It was the first time I received his art about his family, as well as his sincere gratitude.  This paper with a four-year-old art melted my heart, and while I will not be sending him one thousand sixty-six dollars, I will definitely be supporting his Catholic School!
We should do the same, as well as still connecting with this person, continuing to share God's gifts that He has given us, and when we ask within those areas in which we could use help and support, be honest, truthful, and faithful with God's will.
God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment