Thursday, November 7, 2019

Parish Bulletin Article: "Growth to our Parishes": 10-20-19

Thank you, brothers and sisters, for the opportunity to go to our Clergy Conference for four days at Sugar Lake Resort.  It is hard to believe that this will be my eighth time (sixth time while serving at St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Columban parishes) at this nourishment and enlightens in my priesthood.
Each year our diocesan priests and Bishop Paul Sirba discern what we will be experiencing with the four pillars in both the seminary and the priesthood: human, spiritual, intellectual, and pastoral.  This week we are honored with Bishop Joseph Gerard Hanefeldt, the shepherd of the Diocese of Grand Island, Nebraska, and he is speaking about our Spiritual Fatherhood as Diocesan Priesthood.
He has given us five different sections within this pillar of spiritual: beloved son as a priest, chaste spouse, spiritual father, spiritual physician, and shepherd.  Thus far, it is an encouragement and to be reminded of how I must serve God to serve you.
Today I would like to offer you two areas which have brought into my prayer. First, Bishop Hanafeldt spoke about receptiveness versus self-reliance.  He also challenged us and piqued my mind as he said, “Self-reliance in our country seems like a virtue.  Instead, though, it is not.  Receptivity is opening your hearts for God’s love to show your mission, even if it stretches you out.”
To do so, I want to stretch your spiritual and stewardship gifts as we must continue to discern how the garden of our parishes can reap the fruit, not only to stay on a plateau but to thrive. 
Here are some of my ideas as we will be still in the process of our Clergy Conference for two more days:
·     Pray, pray, pray.  How do you pray?  Would you want to meet me to support your individually personal prayerful life?  Would you like me, as your pastor, to direct spiritual directions?  Send me an email, facebook message, or call!  Also, I would ask you to pray for our parishioners, our school, our diocese, and myself (and thank you for your many prayers for my health).
·     Humility, humility, humility.  God is in charge of our parishes and school, not me.  Though it is an honor to serve as much as I can for you.
·     Please go to Mass every week.  Again, this is one out of 168 days a week, and that would change your life.  And, as disciples, do not just come to Mass with yourself or with your family.  Only 25% of Catholics in our country go to Mass.  Please invite, welcome, and share how important it is for you to bring more people to God’s house.  The more in Jesus’ flock will only get better.
·     Go to confession once a month.  I do that, and I am a priest.  But you, too, must open your heart to fulfill God’s forgiveness, encouragement, and mercy. As Bishop said, “Your sins do not define us, but Baptism defines us.”
·     While we do live in a challenging community (i.e., fewer jobs, fewer families, hard economy, etc.), if we actually believe in our Savior, we could actually see some abundant fruit.  I continue to update my list, but here is what can happen if we pray to God: 
o  A new bookkeeper at STA.  Pray, discern, and contact for our employees, even yourself or someone else you may recommend him/her.
o  Use the house we were given in International Falls and extra rooms in our school.  I believe that we can support our community with not only one but two places for daycare, which is needed in our community. Again, pray for this and invite individuals or groups who are seeking to start a daycare process.
o   I believe that STA could offer our parishioners and our community by remodeling the Hall. This would not only bring back more events, wedding parties, and be the biggest and best place for community activities!  Does anyone want to offer financial support?  Pray!
o   I believe that SC could do something similar by adding an upstairs room to give another place for education, nursery, and socialization.  Pray!
o   I believe that God could bring back Sisters to support both STA and SC.  Pray!
o   I believe that our school will continue to grow.  To you amazing parents, please discern and pray about having your children next door to a parish with the presence of Jesus Christ, meaning 1200 hours a year both at school and at home.  To you alumni parishioners (or those reading this online), please mention your experience at our school and give our best advertisement: YOU.  Pray!
Believe in God.  If we all receive God’s love rather than self-reliance, we can set goals higher, and if we do not hit the moon, we could still hit the stars.

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment