Saturday, December 1, 2012

Update from Africa

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

I have been reflecting on the first beatitude as I visit our brothers and sisters in Ghana, Africa.  We often think of these people as poor...and indeed many of them are. Yet I have rarely met such generous and joyful men and women!

Today I took part in one of the most beautiful Masses I have ever been to. Frs. Kevin, Albert, Peter and Robert were ordained today in Baku. If you thought my ordination was long, this one clocked in at four hours, forty-two minutes! We were in a packed church with it being 90 degrees inside with a thousand more standing outside. It was the greatest non-exercise workout I've done.

The singing, dancing (yes, liturgical dance can be done well) readings, rite of ordination and festivities were truly heavenly. What an event.

Other highlights so far:
--playing basketball with guys in Navrongo,
--eating like kings,
--Club beer,
--going for runs with chickens, goats, cows and youngsters,
--visiting schools,
--warm weather
--and, above all being reunited with my classmates from the other side of the world.

We are blessed beyond belief in the USA when it comes to food, drink, possessions and entertainment. Yet we are also ravaged with depression, suicide, addiction, obesity and moral depravity. We materially rich ought to learn from the spiritually poor--those who know there is much more to live for beyond our own abilities and possessions. I have seen first hand a "third world country" possessing heaven on earth and I pray that we may do the same!

Know of my prayers,
FB

No comments:

Post a Comment