Friday, December 7, 2012

Daily Mass Homily: Friday, December 7th, 2012


            When I was in Africa I reflected a lot on the first beatitude: “Blessed are the poor in spirit, theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  In our first reading from Isaiah we hear a similar description: “The lowly will ever find joy in the LORD, and the poor rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.
            From our perspective, the people I visited had nothing compared to us.  About one in ten families have a car.  Water can’t be drunk from a faucet.  It is rare for the average person to eat meat often.  Some communities have only recently received electricity.
Yet just when I started to feel bad for them I realized they were happy.  These, my brothers and sisters, were filled to the brim with joy.  Depression, anxiety and suicide are virtually non existent.  Plus they were the most hospitable people I have ever met.  My suspicion is that because they have nothing, they have everything.  They have God and their families, and that is enough, and that is what spiritual poverty is all about.
Providentially, I was visiting Ghana during their presidential elections.  Wouldn’t you know, neither of their candidates supports abortion (which is illegal in their country).  Their society doesn’t think it necessary to vote on what marriage is (in fact, they were appalled when I explained the Marriage Amendment to them).  When the bishops speak, the government listens as the Church and government work in concert for the people.  Our country could learn a lot from theirs.
Today we pray for our Ghanaian brothers and sisters as they go to vote.  We pray that a poverty of spirit may continue to be present in their lives and that we may grow in spiritual poverty.  Only then may we inherit the kingdom of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment