Saturday, December 8, 2012

Pics and Video from Africa

Here are a few pictures to tell the story of my journey to Africa.  For a full effect, read this blog while playing our theme song: "Africa" by the band Toto.


The reason for our travels.  From left to right: Frs. Kevin Abakisi, Albert Wugaa, Robert Abotzabire and Peter Akudugu.  Congratulations to my four classmates and now brothers in the priesthood!


I traveled to Ghana with Fr. Gabriel Waweru (pastor in Hibbing and originally from Kenya).  We were joined by some men from the Archdiocese of St. Paul/Minneapolis and the Diocese of Sioux Falls.  From left to right we are pictured with the Ghanaian baby priests: Frs. Patrick Barnes, Kevin Abakisi, yours truly, Albert Wugaa, Evan Koop (ASPM), John Rutten (Sioux Falls), Nick VanDenBroeke (ASPM), Allen Eilen (ASPM), Robert Abotzabire, Peter Akudugu and Phil (lay faithful from ASPM).


The ordination took place on Saturday, December 1st in Bakwu.  The ordination clocked in at 4:42 and was one of the coolest Masses I've ever been to and by far the longest.  Unfortunately the power went out so we had no fans.  It was probably ninety-five degrees in the Church and I sweated through my clerics, alb, stole and chasuble.  The music, liturgical dance and ordination rite itself made for a heavenly experience.  I trust this is what heaven will be like.


Yes, that is a real crocodile!  This picture is from the crocodile ponds in Paga.  Legend has it that the crocodiles and humans exist peacefully as the early settlers in Paga were led to water by the crocs.  Across this very pond children were swimming and the guys that called in the crocodiles were not missing any limbs.  Fr. Gabriel Waweru (pastor in Hibbing and originally from Kenya) was my traveling companion for the journey and was there to bless me, just in case the beast wanted to try some white meat.


In case you don't believe me, here is a video of one of the crocs coming on shore.


We had the chance to visit many schools and students.  The average class sizes were fifty or more.  Despite the numbers, these were the most well behaved students I have seen in any school.  They showed remarkable respect for teachers and priests, due to the cultural reality that adults were to be respected.  It was refreshing being in a culture in which youth and children are not the center of the world.  In Ghana, kids are raised to be adults and are expected to learn and conform to adults in their lives.

Many of these children are Catholic, yet not baptized.  Thanks to Catholic education most come to Mass on their own because their parents belong to the natural religion of their tribe.  They walk or bike to Mass each week and it is their responsibility to sign up for three years of catechesis before becoming baptized.  What a witness to the faith from these youngsters!


We also were able to visit an orphanage.  Here I get to hold a beautiful girl named Mary.




After the ordination, Fr. Gabriel and I, as well as the men from the Archdiocese, went our separate ways to attend the four baby priests' first Masses.  I went with Fr. Albert to Navrongo, the city in which the Christian faith in Ghana was born.  The video shows Fr. Albert joining in a traditional dance to celebrate the festive occasion.




I had the great honor of presiding at Mass at the Basilica of Our Lady of Seven Sorrows in Navrongo.  This was the first church built by the African Fathers in Ghana.


I was able to exercise quite a bit in Africa.  It was a blessing sweating in shorts and a t-shirt on several runs, and we even had the opportunity to hoop it up with some of the locals.  We all agreed, "White men can't jump, but they can shoot!"





We ate and drank like kings.  The Ghanaian culture is one of hospitality par excellence.  Most people in Ghana do not eat meat every day as it is a luxury.  We had meat at every meal.  We ate goat (above), chicken, guinea fowl, fish and beef.  My favorite beer was Club--made with maize and grain--and I loved the Coke that was made of real cane sugar.


Yes, Africans carry everything on their heads.  I'm surprised we haven't figured that out as even little children could carry very heavy items.  Here some of the locals help me out, though I never caught on to the balance necessary!


Africa is a beautiful place, and I pray that I can return many times in the future.  I am hoping to bring over some people in a year or so.  

Finally, it is worth mentioning that our brothers and sisters could use our support from the USA.  We are blessed beyond belief and anything we can do to help is truly appreciated.  I am lucky to know these four men and plan on shipping gifts and money over periodically to help the new priests in their ministry.  Please contact me if you would like to contribute in any way.

Thanks for your prayers as this was a journey of a lifetime that will hopefully bear fruit both here and abroad for years to come.




No comments:

Post a Comment