Saturday, December 24, 2016
Emmanuel: God is with US: Christmas
Listen to the homily here.
Merry, merry, merry Christmas!
To all of our parishioners, families, relatives, friends, neighbors and those in our community
· Praise God that we gather in God’s house
· Praise God that we gather in God’s family
· Imagine how many people around the whole world are with God
· As this night began with a few people
o Mary, Joseph, shepherds, 3 kings, animals
o Later apostles, disciples, followers
· 2,000 years later, we have 2.2 billion Christian around the world (1.2 billion Catholics)
o Biggest religion in the whole world
· Jesus Christ is unique compared to every big members in history:
o Greek or Roman gods or goddesses (spiritual, mythology)
o Buddha, Mohammad as just humans (persons but not God)
· Christmas shows Jesus Christ who was a God that was born a human
o This is the core of our Christianity
o He is the only leader in any religion around the planet…the only one
“Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall name him Emmanuel, which means ‘God is with us.’”
· Isaiah and Matthew
· Emmanuel: “God is with us”
· God is with us
· God is always with us
o Not in the sky, not far away, not playing with a lens to burn an ant hill
· He is love, mercy and compassion
· This is His house
· You are always welcome in His house here
Finally, our little ones love the gifts in Christmas
· And I have said this before and will say it again…if they make it to Mass for Christmas, I hope they will receive a great gift
· But is there not a deeper gift?…the greatest gift…the essential gift in our lives: Jesus Christ?
How should you live your lives for Jesus Christ?