Sunday, April 24, 2016
Love one another: 5th Sunday of Easter
Listen the homily here.
As I continue to be a priest at St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Columban I love you all
· The prayers, letters, gifts during my stroke was unreal
· Bishop Paul Sirba has said, “As Pastors, you will fall in love with your parishioners as a family…especially after the first year.”
Three words from Jesus Christ in the Gospel of John
· “…love one another”…LOVE ONE ANOTHER
· That’s three words you can memorize!
Here is a great question to think and pray: Who do you love?
· Your spouse? Your children?
· For children…your parents? Brothers or sisters? Grandma and Grandpa?
· Everyone: Other families? Uncles, aunts, cousins, the wisdom of grandparents, teachers, coaches, friends?
Take some time this week to think and pray for those you love
Here is another question: who do you like? Or…who do you not like?!
· Or, we may people we like
o Work buddies
o Those at the grocery store or restaurant
o Not best friends or not family, but you “like”
· How about people we don’t like. Even in our families, our workers, our classroom, teacher…or even a priest!
o Some people we just can’t stand them!
o I do too!
But there is a huge different between: “like (or don’t like!) or love”
As Catholics of Jesus Christ, we must love every person
· You can “not like”
o That is normal as humans
o But you must love that person
Remember what Jesus taught his disciples:
· “I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another. This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
· Love is a commandment from God
Pray, think and discern 1.) the people you love and 2.) those who you just like…or don’t like…follow the commandment
Love one another!