Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Moving North! (A few words and my final bulletin at St. John's/St. Joseph's)

The bags and boxes are packed and the trucks loaded.  Tomorrow morning I will have my final Mass at St. John's, say goodbyes and then head north to International Falls.  I am honored and excited to be the pastor of St. Thomas Aquinas parish/school and St. Columban!

With the move comes mixed emotions.  While I am eager to begin this new mission God has called me to, it is not the easiest to move on, especially as my two years at St. John's parish and school and St. Joseph's parish have been so abundantly blessed.  As the place where I was welcomed as a youth minister, seminarian, deacon and priest, and in the church in which I presided at my first Mass, I will be dearly missing the wonderful people with whom I walked.

Below is my final bulletin article at St. John's/St. Joseph's in which I thank the faithful for their support over the past two years:


As I prepare to move north I want to thank you all for a blessed time at St. John’s and St. Joseph’s. 
It has been unique that I spent time in official capacities here as a youth minister, seminarian, deacon and a priest.  Fr. Rich can’t even say that!  (Though he can claim to have been my priest, Vocation Director, Teaching Parish pastor and now boss).  I have learned more from Fr. Rich than any other priest how to be a good pastor of souls and I thank him for many years of formation and friendship.  I look forward to our continued work as priests and am very pleased to be on equal footing as of July 16th when I will officially be a pastor!
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with all of you in a variety of contexts: worship and Sacraments, St. John’s School, faith formation, RCIA, Family Nights, social events and meals at your homes.  I am very grateful for your warm welcome here and I could think of no better experience for my first assignment as a priest.  Thanks for all of the ways—big and small—in which you have inspired me to grow in my own relationship with Christ as a priest.
Thanks a ton to all of the faculty, staff and volunteers at the parish and school .  I have learned so much from you.  In fact, you taught me more about the day-to-day practicals of being a priest than six years of seminary did!
I appreciate the many kind words many of you have offered as I prepare for this transition and they inspire me in my goal of being a good and holy servant of God.  That said, please remember two facts as I move on.  First, Jesus is the reason any good comes from any priest.  Second, I’m not dying!  Seriously, no tears or eulogies…
Please pray for me as I move into my next assignment as a priest for our great Diocese.  Know of my prayers for all of you!
God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment