Wednesday, July 23, 2014

God's answer to Jeremiah's and our own excuse: Daily Mass Homily--Wednesday, July 23rd, 2014


            You probably noticed that the Gospel this morning was familiar—it was the same one we prayed with on Sunday.  This is one of those unique examples when we have a reading repeated because our Sunday readings are on a three year cycle while the daily readings rotate every other year. 
            This morning I want to focus on the call of Jeremiah.  God sent him on a mission in a personal way: “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you, a prophet to the nations I appointed you.” 
Like many others in the Bible, Jeremiah’s response was an excuse: “‘Ah, Lord GOD!’  I said, ‘I know not how to speak; I am too young.’” 
God reassured Jeremiah, reminding him that he was in fact chosen to proclaim God’s Word to the people: “But the LORD answered me,Say not, “I am too young.”  To whomever I send you, you shall go; whatever I command you, you shall speak.  Have no fear before them, because I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD.’”
As Catholics we, too, are called to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ to our family, coworkers, friends and others we meet.  We, too, may have excuses: “I am too young,” “I am too old,” “I don’t know the faith well enough,” “I am not a theologian.”  Yet God speaks to each of us, “Say not, ‘I am too [fill in the blank with your excuse].’”  We must be confident that God will use us and give us the grace to speak and act to witness to Jesus.
When you think of it, the greatest evangelizers were normal men and women.  The apostles were mostly uneducated fishermen and tax collectors.  The woman of Samaria who met Jesus only once at the well converted her entire community simply by sharing her experience of Christ.
Be confident today in spreading the Gospel.  Let God know what shortcomings you have, but then trust in His grace to preach the Good News.

No comments:

Post a Comment