Sunday, July 6, 2014

Being Catholic in the USA: 14th Sunday of Ordinary Time (4th of July Weekend)


            Happy 4th of July weekend to you all.  I want to welcome in a special way any visitors, family and friends who have joined us for Mass this morning.
            I would also like to say thank you to our men and women who have served in the armed forces over the years.  This holiday for our country would not be possible without your dedicated support to keep us safe and free.
            Like many of you, I have some special traditions to celebrate our nation’s birthday.  Over the past ten years I have visited my friends’ cabin (my brothers are both married and split holidays with their in-laws so I figure I get one holiday a year with friends!)  It has everything a summer holiday needs: lake, fishing, road race, great food and company.  Over the years I have seen several of my friends there start dating, get engaged, get married and now have children of their own. 
As I was at the cabin on Thursday evening, I reflected on why we celebrate this holiday.  I was inspired to revisit some documents that I honestly haven’t read since high school civics class—The Constitution, The Declaration of Independence and The Bill of Rights.  One of the most famous quotes reminded me of why we celebrate our nations’ birth: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness” (Declaration).
As a Catholic we should thank God for the gifts he has given us in the United States of America.  We are able to celebrate Mass publicly and profess our Christian faith.  Other Christians around the world are not so fortunate.  We have the right to speech, assemble and so forth.  We get to vote and decide our nation’s future.  And above all of this, what we take for granted in things like food, clean water, housing and vehicles, most of the world doesn’t have.
It is good to be patriotic, thanking God for the gifts He has given to the United States of America.
At the same time, we must honestly assess the weaknesses of our country.  It isn’t unpatriotic to point out areas in which our country needs to grow.  I found it interesting that our forefathers stated, “We hold these truths to be self-evident” when common sense and what should be self-evident (like marriage, sanctity of life, etc.) often is not today.  This philosophy of relativism (what is true for you is true for you, what is true for me is true for me) has sparked a sharp polarization of our country into two political parties, neither of which fully embodies our Catholic faith.  (Try preaching some time in this climate!)  Finally, materialism often goes unchecked and we are known throughout the world as greedy.
I was speaking to my friend Fr. Drew about Mass this weekend.  He pointed out, “Isn’t it interesting that on our nation’s big day we get readings on humility?”  I agree.  In His providence, God has given us readings today to help us in the United States of America navigate following Christ in our own country.
I believe this requires three principles.  First, our true home is not of this world and our true King is not of this kingdom.  Ours is a world of power, money and excess.  Yet, “See, your king shall come to you; a just savior is he, meek, and riding on an ass, on a colt, the foal of an ass…  Long after the United States of America (and even the planet) fizzle away, Jesus’ eternal Kingdom will still be around.  Second, our Christian faith must guide our country.  This is what the founding fathers did and what they set out to do!  Finally, we must pray for our country, especially that it may remain grounded on God.  Jesus invites the United States: “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden light…
Yet our country cannot take up Christ’s yoke once more unless we as individuals do.  As we celebrate our nations’ birthday, may we be good patriots and better Catholics to advance God’s kingdom in the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment