Wednesday, May 20, 2020

The Sheep and the Shepherd: 4th Sunday in Easter Season

Listen to the homily here.

Notes:

4th Sunday in Easter

The sheep and the Shepherd
·      This analogy is us as the sheep, and Jesus Christ as the Shepherd
·      And we have some essential places in the OT, the NT, the Gospel according to John and the 1st Peter and more
·      But I do want to begin with a caveat with us the sheep
o   Pope Francis spoke to his priests and bishops to “smell their sheep”
o   But I think it is quite clear, as this coronavirus began, we were seeking, yes, as God’s servants, but to TRULY know THE Shephard: Jesus Christ
St. Peter wrote in his first letter he taught, like Jesus, to those who became scared after Jesus Christ died on the cross
·      What did his disciples do? 
o   For you had gone astray like sheep…”
§  His disciples were locked in an upper room, terrified to be killed, like their leader
§  Imagine their fear for three days having no clue what was going on, especially as they gave up their jobs, their families, their houses
§  And what quickly occur?
o   “…but you have now returned to the shepherd and guardian of your souls.”
§  Jesus was back!
·      Now let’s look at what we are facing today with our society, similar in the chaos of Jesus death
o   Fear, scared, nervous, polarization, gossip, news that was false, 24/7 news—some of the not good smell of our flock
o   And here is where our true Shepherd always protects us, feeds us, and laid down his life for us
o   Therefore, we really have only two options
o   The first is what we heard in John 10: “A thief comes only to steal and slaughter and destroy…”
§  How are we not focusing to our Shepherd, or the thief: evilness, sin, the world, vices, or sins?
o   Or, honing into Jesus own words? “I came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly.”
·      Psalm 23, which I have chosen to use this both in Baptisms and Funerals, and once again, bring these words to the bank, and be nourished today and this week no matter how you are experiencing:
o   The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
In verdant pastures he gives me repose;
beside restful waters he leads me;
he refreshes my soul.

He guides me in right paths
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk in the dark valley
I fear no evil; for you are at my side.
With your rod and your staff
that give me courage.
We must follow THE Shepherd
·      Please pray for our Shepherds servants: our Bishops, our Pastors, Priests, Deacons, Sisters, Brothers, our Laity

·      That we may not seek the thief, but our Shepherd

No comments:

Post a Comment