Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Parish Bulletin Article: "God's Providence": 5-3-20

God is good, and God offers his dominion.
Last week I occurred one of those beautiful experiences with not only God's gifts, but also the ministry of a married couple, an individual facing difficult situations in his challenging life, and two priests.  
And what an image of God's fruitfulness when our brothers and sister need help, ASAP.
As I will keep the names of the couple and the individual will be anonymous, so let us imagine Jill and John, who in their lives have served many people who have been homeless, hungry, addicted to drugs, spending time in jail.  As giving the gift of missionary services (who I do know them and listened to many of their fantastic services), they were facing a tricky spot.
As they knew for many years (as I will call him Jim), he was almost "adopted" in Jill and John's family.  In some ways, they put him under their wings to protect and provide him as Jim has lived through a tough life.
Over the last few weeks, Jill has asked me to offer prayers for Jim as he was stuck in Oklahoma, hungry, with no money, and no place to stay overnight safely.  We did pray.  Some doors were opened for him with some food and a hotel for a few days.
Last week, Jim was not out of the woods, continuing to live day-to-day, hour-to-hour, as so many people face these lives around our community, our country, and our world.  And how were we to support this man?
Well, shouldn't people ask help for our Catholic Churches?  In fact, YES.  We are the most prominent organization around the world that serves most people who are homeless, hungry, thirsty, naked, lonely, in jail, in hospitals, and must be buried. 
Thus, Jill asked me one question: "Do you know anyone in Oklahoma?" and my response was quick: "I know one man in Oklahoma that I knew in the seminary many years ago, and I haven't chatted with him from many years.  But I do know he is a priest in Oklahoma. His name is Fr. Michael Pratt.  Check out his name on Google."
Do you know where Fr. Pratt served as his parishioners?  Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, the same suburb that Jim was seeking support.  I mean, I only knew one priest that I knew in the whole state of Oklahoma, and there is one of my brothers in the priesthood.
It was touching to speak with Fr. Pratt after many years, and it was great to check up with each other as we both serve God's will in different places.  And one of his classic lines by the end of our conversation: "We'll take care of Jim."
As this was so powerful, it shows how we disciples serve God's Kingdom.  May we support other people?  Of course!  Can we serve better?  Yes!  But at the end of the day, I praise God, because that is what God does.  We must listen for our missions from God, and we must believe in faith, hope, and love.  As God IS love, He is also in control even when we do not understand it.
Finally, I believe in faith.  I do not want to be proud, but I did know in my heart that God will take care of the situation with Jill, John, and Jim.  So why don't we believe in God's providence no matter what we face in our lives?
God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment