Thursday, May 28, 2020

The Ascension of Jesus Christ to Heaven: Ascension (7th) Sunday in Easter Season

Listen to the homily here.

Notes:

The Ascension of Jesus Christ
Earlier this week, I enjoyed the Gospel according to John before the Resurrection of Jesus Christ
·      Jesus said to his disciples:
A little while and you will no longer see me,
and again a little while later and you will see me
.”
o   Now, we know the story, right?
o   But be in the minds if you were a disciple of Jesus in about 30 year AD
o   I’m guessing that I too would be thinking with my buddies, after I left my family, job, area
§  So some of his disciples said to one another,
“What does this mean that he is saying to us,
‘A little while and you will not see me,
and again a little while and you will see me
…”
·      Then imagine all the words without telephones, cell phones, twitter, Facebook, tic-tock? but were hearing different stories that Jesus rose from the dead!
o   Wouldn’t we each simply say: no way, conspiracy, they’re nuts!
o   Only to realize that you, like St. Thomas the doubter, saw him!
Now we are in the 7th week in the Season of Easter, and where are the disciples in their story?
·      Back to Jesus, praising him for life, understanding a big piece of truth, seeking truth, and chuckling at themselves what he had said, “A little while and you will no longer see me…then you will see me…”
·      They, or we, must have finally understood about Jesus
But we STILL did not!
The Ascension = Boom
·      Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?”
He answered them, “It is not for you to know the times or seasons
that the Father has established by his own authority.
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you,
and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem,
throughout Judea and Samaria,
and to the ends of the earth.”
When he had said this, as they were looking on,
he was lifted up, and a cloud took him from their sight
.:
But we, like the disciples, must once again think “Wait, what?”
·      And we continue this story next weekend


No comments:

Post a Comment