Thursday, August 22, 2019

Parish Bulletin Article: "Thank You, and Updates in my Life"

(Experience that I wrote on a Facebook post last week in which I have edited earlier this week as well as adding and deleting to this day)

Dear Brothers and Sisters,
I experienced an up and down roller-coaster three days last week. Monday, July 22nd began on an a-okay morning.  It ended up with two ambulance rides to two hospitals (Rainy Lake and St. Mary's). CTs, MRIs, frustration, waiting and finally learning what was going on in my brain.  
The Stroke Doctor on Wednesday, July 24th, understood what was going on in my brain via some new MRI slides.  The doctor showed me about what the medical world calls today "silent strokes" in the brain in which many people have them too. It is so tiny that many don't even know it happened or not affected their body or brain.
As I had a mini-stroke, he showed the spot on my brain that would be the "conductor" for my right leg; therefore, my right ankle, knee, and hip lost tension and created weakness in my right leg.
I want to share two thoughts about my journey within those three long days. The first is to thank you for your prayers, and please continue to do so! Know of my prayers for you. Indeed, each of us has a cross. We must carry as we walk with our pilgrimage with our Savior towards heaven.
The second is to please avoid gossip or judgment via Facebook or in life itself. As I am somewhat in a public venue in our community, I have already heard, and continue to hear "the rumors that were about me!" While I do believe that you care for me, and I am gracious for you, most what I heard or told was false, wrong or merely hilarious :). 
Now, if you are curious about someone's health, please directly ask questions to him or her, or his or her family as they have private lives too.  Allow this person and their family to communicate as they want to do so in their personal lives.  Also, sharing achievements, offering gratitude, or adding prayers about someone else is lovely, especially on this wonderful IFalls Nice FB page!
On the other hand, gossip and judgment are never right; in fact, they are sins.  I would recommend not to ask for details, playing the phone game, guess what happened, "diagnose" what happened, and/or assume what another individual should do (or not).  Those types of conversations can actually hurt another person.  Plus, they probably already heard with expertise and professional supporters. In my personal life, I do indeed listen and obey my doctors, nurses, Bishop Paul Sirba, my counselor, and my family. Am I grateful for your support in my journey? Indeed! But what I need most is not advice, but your presence, a smile, encouragement, gratitude, and prayerfulness!
At this point, I was discharged last week after three days, and I am back home.  I was honored and blessed to offer our three Masses last weekend and was referred to go to Mayo on August 8th.  Until that time, I will be taking some time to catch up with some R and R, focusing on both my job and my health and will able to serve you, especially in emergency situations.
Again, thanks for your prayers, and I am proud to be connected with you, my family, friends, priest brothers, Bishop Paul Sirba and our Diocese of Duluth, parishioners, school students/families, and our community.
May God's will be done and know of my prayers and gratitude for you as I continue to walk forward. 
God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment