Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Parish Bulletin Article: "God as Love and as our Judge": 7-21-19

            Last weekend I preached about an image of God’s two hands—one for mercy/love and the other as a judge.  For this bulletin article, I would like to add some of the notes that I used to prepare that sermon, hopefully, to flesh out some more ideas for your spiritual journey.
First, I hope that you can continue to grow closer to God, our Father, God/Man Jesus Christ, and God the Holy Spirit.  The deeper you dive into the relationship with love, mercy, and the fact that God is a judge, the better!
Second, consider one of your favorite person in your personal life, whether it is with your parent, grandparent, spouse, friend, coach, coworker, etc..  
As I have written and spoke about my Grandma Betty (God rest her soul), she is one of the best personality in my life.  Did she show me her love?  Definitely! Did I love being with her? Indeed.  When she visited our family, we used to talk when we kids had a cot to sleep next to her during the night.  I’ll never forget some of those conversations that she continued to listen and responded, as well as sharing her life with wisdom and advice.
At the same time, Grandma Betty would challenge me!  If I were not behaving well, she would discipline me. She would intervene a fight with my brothers, or bluntly gave me the advice to change my behavior, words or actions, and while it was annoying or frustrating with me as a child, I am grateful for her love with compassion and cheering me on in my life, as well as disciplining me to grow in my character.
Please think about someone like my Grandma in your life. 
Finally, each of us has different spiritual lives in a spectrum of what I preached about last week.  Some people should hone into God’s love and mercy.  Others must remind that God is a judge, and at the end of our lives, we will see Him face to face, and hopefully show our humility and sinfulness to seek His forgiveness.  
Wherever you are, seek that balance with God’s love and as a judge.  And one of the most important way to balance your journey is to go to Confession.
God Bless!        

No comments:

Post a Comment