Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Prep Talk for Lent: 8th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Listen to the homily here.

Notes:

This weekend I would like to offer a prep talk for Lent
·     Like sports, fishing, music, singing, a new job, a new baby and more, and I believe we need to do similarly as the seasons come up in our Church’s year
·     Today I would like to share some of my experiences, some invitations, and some challenges for your spiritual journey throughout Lent
First, we have a few days before Ash Wednesday, and it is a great time to begin your ideas, goals and prayerfulness, so you are ready for the starting line
·     Personally, I typically discern about my body, my mind and my soul
·     What can I change to offer my body to God, as I, and you, are really temples of the Holy Spirit?
·     Where should I look for my mind in a world fill of screen time, media, busyness? How can I use more time to God that has given me, and you a brain!
·     Finally, how can I grow in my spiritual journey?
Second, please keep your goals and offerings without telling the whole world!
·      I love Matthew 6:3 which we’ll probably hear next weekend: 
o   “[But] take care not to perform righteous deeds in order that people may see them; otherwise, you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father. 2When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward. 3But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing, 4so that your almsgiving may be secret.”
·      Yes, it may be good to speak with your spouse, kids or a small circle of your best friends to receive encouragement, or countability, but not with the whole world (as that could actually be pride)
Third, I personally can’t stand what typically happens on Tuesday
·      Once again, this is not something to say “yes” or “no” to you, but as before I loved “Fat Tuesday” or Marti Gras 
·      After many years, I realized, should I stuff my stomach (which is actually one of the seven deadly sins called gluttony) to prep for Lent?  Or wake up with a headache (which is beyond enjoying beverages, and could also be called drunkenness, another sin)
·      Over many years, I have tried to change my preparation for Lent, and I hope you can as well
·      For instance, when I prep for a race, a marathon or a triathlon, I must use the right liquids, the right calories and the right balance…this has helped me to move that from my physical world to my spiritual journey
Thus, on Tuesday we will be offering a cool opportunity for all of our parishioners, students, parents and employees beyond “Fat Tuesday”
·      Right after Mass on Tuesday, we will be burning the palms as a family
·      We will then keep them cool
·      After our students lunch and outside, we will have a tray, a sieve/colander and spoons to teach our students (and you!) as we continue to learn where we receive the ashes that would take place on Ash Wednesday
·      And it was pretty cool to listen to our first reading and the responsorial psalm with both the words and phrases: “When a sieve is shaken, the husks appear…” and “The just one shall flourish like the palm tree…”
On Ash Wednesday and Good Friday we are to abstinent (no meat) as well as fasting (two small meals, one normal meal, and no snacks)
I challenge and invite our family with two goals for all of us
·      Please one of our powerful experiences that we will offer to you: like visit on Sunday evenings to watch the Pivotal Players, read a book that you will receive during our 40 hours, spent an hour with Jesus in Adoration, enjoy a trip to Duluth for Chrism Mass, and keep our goals to yourself
Finally, do know that Sunday is technically not Lent, as it is the Lord’s day every day.

Let’s prep for Lent as we prepare for this marathon season!

No comments:

Post a Comment