Friday, March 29, 2019

Parish Bulletin Article: "Praying with the Scriptures in Lent": 3-24-19

            As we continue to walk through the season of Lent, my ears and eyes have been pricked by some nourishment through the Scriptures within our daily and weekend Masses.  These readings definitely helped me to bring some of the following verses to pray, imagine and meditate how important it is to soak in the Bible, the “Word” and Jesus Christ.  Here you go!
·      Isaiah 55:10-11 (Which we heard on Tuesday, March 12thduring our daily Mass)
o   Thus says the LORD:Just as from the heavensthe rain and snow come downand do not return theretill they have watered the earth,making it fertile and fruitful,giving seed to the one who sowsand bread to the one who eats, so shall my word bethat goes forth from my mouth;  It shall not return to me void,but shall do my will,achieving the end for which I sent it.”
§  Personally, it was PERFECT timing with the snow and rain!  Also, as we live in northern Minnesota, we understand how important water is in our lives, and the lives of our natural ecosystems.  At the same time, Isaiah was prophesying how the “word” (aka, the Scriptures, and a type of Jesus Christ), that came out of God’s “mouth” (again, God’s WORD for our salvation).
·      Esther 14:3-5 (Thursday, March 14thwithin our daily Mass and our weekly School Mass)
o   As a child I used to hear from the books of my forefathersthat you, O LORD, always free those who are pleasing to you.  Now help me, who am alone and have no one but you,O LORD, my God. ‘And now, come to help me, an orphan.’”
§  Personally, I remember as a child listening to the stories of the Scriptures from my parents. As a young child, I will never forget the stories of Zacchaeus, Bartimaeus, Daniel and more!  To this day, I love imagining the events within the Bible.
·      Jeremiah 1:4-9
o   Now the word of the LORD came to me saying, ‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.’ Then I said, ‘Ah, Lord GOD! Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth.’  But the LORD said to me, ‘Do not say, “I am only a youth”; for to all to whom I send you you shall go, and whatever I command you you shall speak. Be not afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD.’  Then the LORD put forth his hand and touched my mouth; and the LORD said to me, ‘Behold, I have put my words in your mouth.’”
§  Personally, this passage reminds me how important it is to listen and receive God’s word, and how He has called each of us, even the youth!
I definitely recommend praying with the Bible, and soak in the deeper SON with the WORD!
God Bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment