Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Parish Bulletin Article: "One of the Seven Coporal Mercy-Visit the Sick and Beyond": 10-28-18

            This weekend I would like to ask you to consider one of the seven corporal mercies: (to feed the hungry, to give drink to the thirsty, to clothe the naked, to give shelter to the stranger, to visit the sick, to visit the imprisoned, and to bury the dead).  
I mention this because one of my favorite saints, St. Teresa of Calcutta, continues to prick my conscience with one of her favorite passages in Matthew 25: “I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me…Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.’” (Matthew 25:35, 40).
So today, my question to you is this: could you visit the sick?  And, within a more extensive section in God’s Kingdom, could you visit our brothers and sisters who live in a nursing home, assistant housing, homebound or those who are lonely?
Like earlier this week, our Pastoral Council was speaking about how important it is to serve our parishioners who cannot make it to Mass. A straightforward gift that you can give them is to visit them.  You may not only make their day, but you may also make your day, too, as these individuals may share their wisdom, missions in their lives, support to our parishes and school, and listen to some fantastic stories.
I would also like to add another portion of this work of mercy: to bring the Eucharist so they may receive Jesus’ Body and Blood as they cannot make it to Mass.  Thank you to our parishioners who serve in this way already, and consider doing the same as we always need more Eucharistic Ministers. (Please call our office or speak to me to learn how to offer this vital mission).
Finally, we are working for a document so that we may organize better to serve you, or your loved one.  The best way we can do so is only to share your name, location and phone number as we can then quickly profoundly connect you to our family, God’s family.
Please pray and discern if you can offer the corporal work of mercy to your brother and sister.
God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment