Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Parish Bulletin Article: "God, Family, Friends and Brothers": 10-22-18

As I love taking some vacation time in the fall, as well as enjoying our Clergy Conference this past week, some of my most essential moments occur with my family, friends, and brothers.
I thank God for a large “net” that continues to support my life.  In the center is God and Mother Mary, then my family, best friends, brothers in the priesthood and different levels of buddies, and of course our family at St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Columban and St. Thomas Aquinas School.
Have you ever read the book “The Five Love Language” by Gary Chapman? This is a great book to read, especially you couples who can learn and relearn the types of love languages to grow closer to each other.  There are also books like this with different relationships (ex. “The Five Love Language of Children,” “The Five Love Language of Men,” “The Five Love Languages Single Edition,” etc.). 
I have indeed realized that I learned that my best love language (within the book as a single man!) is just time—simply being with my friends, with my family, with my fraternity, with people.
As I was writing this article, I also remembered a couple of verses that help me reminisce how vital these individuals and groups are essential in my life:
·     Jesus Christ: John 15:12-17: “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.  Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.  You are my friends if you do what I command you.  No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.  You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide; so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.  This I command you, to love one another.”
·     Friends: Sirach 6:14:16: “A faithful friend is a sturdy shelter: he that has found one has found a treasure.  There is nothing so precious as a faithful friend, and no scales can measure his excellence.  A faithful friend is an elixir of life; and those who fear the Lord will find him.”
·     Parents: Exodus 20:12: “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land which the LORD your God gives you.”
·     Brothers: Psalm 133:1: “Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity!”
I hope and pray that each of you has the same gifts with these four significant levels in your life: your family, your friends, and your brothers and sisters.

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment