Monday, July 23, 2018

Rest, but remember that is still God's time: 16th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Listen to the homily here.

Notes:

In 2008 and 2009, I served as a teacher at Totus Tuus—the same mission that four people did for our parishes a few weeks ago.
·      That summer was crazy!
·      Holy Hour early in the morning (which is not my favorite time in the day), then elementary students from 8:30-2:30, a dinner at a families house from 5:00-6:30pm, then junior high and high school students from 7:00-9:00pm, then back to our homes at about 10:00pm
For 2009 I used what we heard in the Gospel today almost every day
·      The apostles gathered together with Jesusand reported all they had done and taught. He said to them,‘Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.’ People were coming and going in great numbers,and they had no opportunity even to eat. So they went off in the boat by themselves to a deserted place.”
Today as a priest my deserted place is on Friday, my day off
·      And yes, I joke with you and others that I really only work on Saturday evening or Sunday
·      But I praise God that He says, “Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.”
o  Where do I go?  At the rectory, with my family, visiting friends, exercising, events, reading or write
Where can you rest?
·      Rest called his apostles to relax, and in your life, this time can really nourish you with your hobbies, taking a nap, getting out of dodge or more
·      An especially day to rest is on Sunday, in which we should not work, but recreate/re-create your life, as God Himself “rested on the Sabbath”
·      Please spend more rest with Jesus, as the apostles did so
Then, imagine an annoyance moment, or a better way to call it “a new opportunity”
·      For instance, I have had several funerals on Friday—my day off, or, if I am in town, to offer the anointing of the sick…I must do that because it really isn’t my time, but God’s time
·      Even during your time to rest, something may challenge your time, because it is God’s time
Like the Apostles: “People saw them leaving and many came to know about it. They hastened there on foot from all the townsand arrived at the place before them.”
·      While resting is crucial for your life, as Jesus Christ told his apostles to rest, always be ready to serve, even if it is your day off

·      And if you do receive that rest, whether you only receive a few minutes or a few hours, remember that God may be calling you when He needs you with someone else

No comments:

Post a Comment