Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Parish Bulletin Article: "FB": 7-1-18

As I have jumped into social media, via Facebook, I would like to offer a few thoughts, especially as some of our “youts” have been joking with me about joining. 
    
First, like every other materialistic stuff, like money, television, vehicles, cell phones and more, Facebook can be used either good or bad, holy or sinful.  For those of you on this network, continue to remind and discern in your mind how you are using it.
    
Second, I hope that Facebook is used with a balanced perspective, like how vital balance we much eat, drink, exercise, pray, serve and taking time with different levels of relationships.    
    
Third, my biggest goal for my FB (which I chuckle whenever I see these two letters I still think it means “Fr. Ben”), is to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ, following the inspiration from Bishop Robert Barron.
   
I was also inspired with either Bishop Robert Barron or a different author who pointed to St. Paul as he proclaimed Jesus Christ as he was in a new situation while he was in Athens. Here is one point that I will refer to Acts 17:16-24a how St. Paul used his media with his intellect, persuasive and honesty to speak the Good News:

Now while Paul was waiting for them at Athens, his spirit was provoked within him as he saw that the city was full of idols.  So he argued in the synagogue with the Jews and the devout persons, and in the market place every day with those who chanced to be there. Some also of the Epicurean and Stoic philosophers met him. And some said, ‘What would this babbler say?’ Others said, ‘He seems to be a preacher of foreign divinities’ — because he preached Jesus and the resurrection.  And they took hold of him and brought him to the Areopagus, saying, ‘May we know what this new teaching is which you present?  For you bring some strange things to our ears; we wish to know therefore what these things mean.’  Now all the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there spent their time in nothing except telling or hearing something new.  So Paul, standing in the middle of the Areopagus, said: ‘Men of Athens, I perceive that in every way you are very religious.  For as I passed along, and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription, “To an unknown god.”  What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you.  The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth…’”
    
As our society is filled with idols, with judgment, with gossip, with those “who lived there spent their time in nothing except telling or hearing something new.”  Do any of these remind you of anything in our day?
    
To end this article, please pray that I will use Facebook well and that this channel can inspire other people to know of Jesus Christ in their life.
    
God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment