Monday, May 21, 2018

Parish Bulletin Article: "Marinate Life's Gifts": 5-20-18

As I write this article, I am soaking into the end of this gracious day. Today our family (parishioners at St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Columban), Fr. Albert Wugaa (one of my best friends and brother), Bishop Paul Sirba (our shepherd in our diocese), eight juniors (who were confirmed), their sponsors and their own families, Mass, a glorious nap, biking and having dinner with a parishioner’s house, Mother’s Day, Ascension and the opening fishing season: thank God!
I am also wrapping my mind around our three events that are connected with our liturgical and national moments: Confirmation on the Ascension of Jesus Christ, first Communion on Pentecost, and the Baccalaureate Mass during Memorial Weekend.  I could write a lot more about this, put these influences in your thoughts!
Finally, I just bought an intuitive book within my own life: “beauty in the broken places: a memoir of love, faith, and resilience” by Allison Pataki.  Let me give you an elevator description.  A young married couple was going to travel to Hawaii to spend time together on a “babymoon” trip as the wife was pregnant. As they were in an airplane 35,000 feet up, the husband had a stroke.  He was 30 years old, studying in medical practice, was athletic and received this on June 9th, 2015.  As they walked through his recovery, and their relationship within their marriage (and a baby on the way!) my heart has simply lifted through Allison Pataki and Dave Levy sharing their lives during “good times and in bad, in sickness and in health," and I recommend this book to anyone who has had tough situations yourself, or with your loved one.
As we conclude this year in the Easter Season in Pentecost and reenter our Ordinary Time, spend more time each day to marinate the depths of your life, your family’s life, our parishes life, our Catholic Christian life and the gifts that we receive from God every moment.
God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment