Monday, May 21, 2018

Parish Bulletin Article: "Generations": 5-6-18

Earlier this week I listened to a commentator about millennials and baby boomers. His presentation was both engaging and funny, and it made me think about how we Catholics should work together.
One of my first thoughts was when millennials were categorized from the ages 19-34.  I thought to myself, “Why am I in the millennials box anyway?”  I mean, my parents are baby boomers, and they use technology like Facebook and smartphones more than me!  
While I chuckled with this presentation, the commentator also said there is a “Generation clash…”
This weekend, I want to share how important it is to work with each other through our different ages.  For instance, our different spans throughout the priests in our Diocese enjoy joking with each other for our generations.  I am still a “baby priest,” our at least a “young priest” with our brothers.  And yes, we can chatter back to them.
I praise God that we young priests can seek experienced priests with wisdom, experience and counsel.  On the other side of the coin, many of my wise priests enjoy our energy, “new blood,” and new ideas.  The best here is that our Diocese is very blessed as we brothers walk together toward Jesus Christ.
Then, when I was assigned to St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Columban, I noticed a new event through our school.  Pat Bjorum set up an activity with young students at our school with wise parishioners from our parish.  Each parishioner received one or two students, and they prayed together, listened to the Scriptures and watched the little ones make a picture for their story. That made a lovely relationship through different generations, and I hope that we can do that project again!
Here are a couple of thoughts for you about growing connections between all of our ages together.  
·     Students: how can you learn from an adult that is beyond your parents, grandparents, teachers or coaches?  Do you notice a parishioner that inspires you at Mass?  If so, introduce yourself to them and mention that you are thankful for them.  Or, could you take some time in a nursing home or a parishioner that is lonely? Your presence could simply make their day!
·     Adults: how can you go beyond your children for other students in our parishes or community? Your acknowledgment at church, athletic events, concerts or more can inspire the younger generations.  Or, have you ever noticed a student at Mass that serves, plays the piano, reads, is confirmed or receiving their first communion how proud you are for them?
As we are a family at St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Columban, it is always better to grow with each other and enjoy some food for thought this week.
God Bless! 

No comments:

Post a Comment