Monday, February 26, 2018

Parish Bulletin Article: "First Eucharistic Adoration": 2-25-18

The first time that I experienced Eucharistic Adoration was when I was a junior in high school.  I was on the second day of a TEC (Together Encounter Christ) retreat.  While I did not want to go to this retreat, I began to open my heart on the second day with some great people: high school students from around our diocese, youth ministers and Fr. John Wild.
That evening, we were praying in the church, and at one point Jesus Christ came out of the tabernacle within a monstrance—which I did not know what that was.
I had no clue what was going on!
At the same time, I did experience some subtle things during that moment.  I saw many young people that were praying in a church on a Saturday evening.  I noticed quietness.  As we had both private prayers and prayers within our group, it was peaceful, though I do remember that it was taking a long time. 
As I am an analytical person, I probably watched other people more than my prayer.  My mind was clicking on experience something new, something curious and something that would change my life in 2000 or 2001.
When I went to the St. John Vianney Seminary, I was asked to reflect on how the TEC experience encouraged my faith, and here is what I wrote then (2006 or 2007):
TEC played a crucial role in my faith conversion. Growing up in the Catholic Church always seemed like something my parents, religious education teachers and priests did.  I was merely a passive observer, wondering why people would care so much about God or the Church.  Through my TEC experience, this all changed.  I was inspired to seek out Christ and His Church which eventually led me to discern entering seminary.  In looking back on my TEC experience, I can see many seeds planted in my faith that are beginning to grow at seminary.  My first experience of Adoration took place at a TEC retreat.  I also began to read my Bible seriously for the first time because of a talk given by a man who is now a brother seminarian.  And, I heard the first call to the priesthood while on TEC.  I can see a connection between these events and our daily prayer routine at St. John Vianney: daily Mass, holy hour, rosary, Liturgy of the Hours and our constant search for God’s will.  What a blessing to be a seminarian in our beautiful Church!”
As each of you can grow closer to Jesus Christ, you can also experience another avenue for your spiritual life: Eucharistic Adoration.
In our family, check out Adoration as it will help you, your family, our parishes, our school and our community will grow.
God Bless!
           

             

No comments:

Post a Comment