Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Parish Bulletin Article: "Support Fr. Francis from Ghana": 9-3-17

           We are blessed to know about the mission for Fr. Francis Kodelogo on the other side of the world (Ghana, Africa).  He visited us three years ago (August 2014).  While I announced last weekend that he would come back to see us this week, but something else occurred in his time in Minnesota.  While I was bummed about this, I did have a wonderful lunch with him in McGregor and he said to all of you, “Thank you for your gifts because we no longer need to walk to find water from our seminarians.  I always tell the students that our new water is purified, and you should always drink this instead of water from the well.”
I’ll never forget the time with him three years ago.  I was a brand new pastor and he was a rector at a seminary.  While I was chatting a lot, he was listening.  At some point, I asked him some questions about leadership, prayer and discernment and I quickly saw his gifts with wisdom, knowledge and compassion.  I praise God for a brother on the other side of the world, and these types of relationships are essential for our Catholic church around the globe.
And today it was another moment to spend time with this holy and wise priest, even eating in Dairy Queen!  It is awesome to meet, visit and spend time with brothers and sisters around the world within the same Kingdom of God.
I also praise God that our parishes have supported several priests from Ghana Africa: Frs. Albert, Solomon, Peter, Robert and Francis.  It is amazing to see how our “small bills” can directly support the needs for water and food.  At the same time, many of us can hurriedly use five bucks for coffee, ten for lunch or twenty for dinner.  Each of these is not “needs” but “wants.”
Please discern for your pocket or purse as we offer a second collection for Fr. Francis Kodelogo and his mission in Ghana, Africa.  Both small and big offerings could support our brothers and sisters not for “wants” but things that they “need.”
As he will not physically here, we will still see each other spiritually during Mass.  And I will be wearing the great gift—a chasuble—that they gave me and parishioners to use it during the holy liturgy.

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment