Thursday, March 9, 2017
Physically and Spiritual Food: 1st Sunday of Lent
Listen tot he homily here.
Food for Lent
· Operation Rice Bowl
o Read the flaps about how important this mission is
· Food shelf during March: 2nd collection for Food Sharing
· Parallel between humans…food…God…the devil
· “Now the serpent was the most cunning of all the animals that the LORD God had made. The serpent asked the woman, ‘Did God really tell you not to eat from any of the trees in the garden?’”
· “The woman answered the serpent…”
o Bad decision…do not speak with evil!
o Eve and Adam followed the wicked one and they ate the apple
o They sinned…which began to each human person (the original sin)
o Failed obedience from God
o Blamed each others
Matthew 4: the temptation of Jesus Christ
· A new man, food, God, the devil
· “At that time Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. He fasted for forty days and forty nights, and afterwards he was hungry.”
o Interesting…40 days…hungry…no food
· The tempter approached and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, command that these stones become loaves of bread."
· He said in reply, "It is written: One does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes forth from the mouth of God."
· Jesus wins this game…
Today, we are in a continual game…us humans, food, God and evil
· Yes we are to serve others to eat
· But deeper…we must follow Jesus Christ to fast during Lent…and to follow the last verse “One does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.”
· And what did God give us this? The Eucharistic