Monday, November 14, 2016
After our Presidential Election remember our King and Kingdom: 33rd Sunday of Ordinary Time
Listen to the homily here.
This weekend I would like to share some thoughts for our election
· I actually already wrote the bulletin article for next weekend, but as I pray I think this is a good time
I have heard many thoughts of our election in which President Elect Donald J. Trump
· We have a whole spectrum: some are pumped up…some are scared…some are in fine
· But I think there is at least one word for each person: shocked
This is where I would like to remind about our Catholic and Christian faith
Jesus Christ is our king
· Several weeks before I quoted a faithful athlete and I will quote it again: “[President] Obama can’t save us. Ms. Clinton can’t save us. Mr. Trump can’t save us. The only one Who can save the heart of man is the Lord.”
· He already won the game
· He already destroyed evil
· He forgives sins, offers grace and mercy and love
We have two types of citizenships
· One is we live in an awesome country “...one Nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
· But the more important citizenship is in God’s Kingdom
o Both on earth (around the whole world) and in heaven
o Psalm 98: “The Lord comes to rule the earth with justice.”
· The citizenship for our country is temporary…God’s Kingdom is here and in eternity
I think it is good to have a perspective of our world
· We should see the forest through history, rather than just one tree, or one branch, or one leaf
o Jesus was predicting that the Jewish Temple would eventually end—and it did in 70ad
o Roman Empire—in for centuries, then done
o Holy Roman Empire—in for centuries, then done
o But we continue to grow!
No matter what happened in our political, leadership, local or national areas through this election
· We must walk with each other as Catholics and Christians
· Show love for each other
· Have candor conversations
But here is a great question to pray, discern and think about: how much time do we speak about Jesus Christ versus this election?