Sunday, October 16, 2016
Faith, Disciples and 2 Timothy 4:1-5: 29th Sunday of Ordinary Time
Listen to the homily here.
Jesus gives us a challenge: “But when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?”
· Will he find your faith? Will he find your mission to follow Jesus Christ as a disciple?
· Follow our true leaders who lead our Kingdom of God
When I was out of town last week we had a wonderful conversation about evangelization:
· Sherry Weddell with a book called “Intentional Disciple”
· Sharing the Good News of God
· Sharing our own stories with others
· I also wrote an article for our bulletin next weekend
This day I would like to walk through 2 Timothy 4:1-5
· It is one of my favorite passages of evangelization, discipleship and truth
Let us begin…4:1
· “I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom:”
o Continue to allow God—Jesus Christ--to be present wherever you are
o God and Jesus Christ are our leaders
§ Jesus Christ already won the game!
· “preach the word, be urgent in season and out of season, convince, rebuke, and exhort, be unfailing in patience and in teaching.”
o Each of you…you teachers…you disciples
o “Preach the word”! The Good News of God
§ Share your story to others
o “In season and out of season”
§ Private with friends, neighbors, family
§ Public as well!
o “Convince, rebuke, exhort with patience and teaching”
§ Walk where people are
4:3-4 (this is the next three verses that we did not hear today)
· “For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own likings, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander into myths.”
o Paul wrote this almost 2000 years ago
o I have thought for many years…is this not about our country?
· “Itching ears…teachers to suit their own likings…turn away from listening to the truth…”
o Is media, is politician advertisements on both sides not doing this?
· Here is what we believe as Catholics to follow the truth in their teaching
o Jesus Christ
o Catechism of the Catholic Church
o Pope Francis
o Saints in history
· “As for you, always be steady, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.”
o Steady, endure suffering, work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry”
§ We must follow Jesus Christ!