Saturday, August 9, 2014

My Day Off: Parish Bulletin--8-10-14


            A number of you have been curious about why I chose Fridays as opposed to Mondays as my day off.
            First, a priest’s day off is critical for success in both his priestly ministry and personal life.  It is mandated by Canon Law and I am grateful to be “off the clock” to relax, be refreshed and rejuvenated.  The work we priests do can be very intense and at every step of my formation to priesthood it was emphasized that we take care of ourselves.
            Part of the reason I chose Fridays off is due to the distance I live away from my family and friends.  Bishop Sirba assured me that, due to living so far north (which I love!), I need to account for travel time in order to stay connected to brother priests in addition to my friends and family.  Having Fridays off will give me flexibility with driving.  For instance, if I want to travel to see my best friends in the Cities I could leave Thursday afternoon, have a full day with them Friday, and leave Saturday morning to be back for Mass.
            Several of you have asked what this means for First Friday devotions.  I would like to respond first by saying how proud I am to see so many of you have devotions like this in your life that draw you closer to Jesus!  Keep it up!  Some have questioned whether we can keep First Friday Masses.  While I understand this great desire, I have chosen to keep a consistent monthly schedule with Fridays off each week because I need to maintain my overall health and well-being.
            That being said, remember the point of any devotion—to be led to Christ.  We have Mass at our parishes six days a week.  If you go to Mass six days a week, are frequenting Confession and praying for our Holy Father (which the First Fridays devotion requires), you are already in a great place, even if you cannot attend a First Friday Mass.  Additionally, you may come to Mass on the Thursday or Saturday before/after First Fridays and offer that to fulfill your devotion. 
            Two other notes for when I am out of town, either on my day off or on vacation.  First, Holy Days of Obligation always take precedence, no matter what day of the week.  For example, the Feast of the Assumption of Mary will be celebrated on Friday, August 15th and we will have our regular Mass schedule.  We will always have Mass on these great feasts, and I will find a substitute if I am away. 
And a note on emergency situations…if you or a loved one needs a priest in a dire situation, please call the parish office and they can reach me quickly with my personal cell phone number.  After business hours, please call my home phone number (listed in the bulletin) and I will respond as soon as I can.  Finally, for those times when I am away, I have spoken with Fr. Victor De Gagne, the pastor at St. Mary’s in Fort Frances.  He has agreed to cover emergency calls and I will always alert him and our staff to ensure that emergencies are always covered.
Thank you for your continued warm welcome and patience through your transition to having a new pastor!
            God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment