Monday, August 18, 2014

Jesus' call to sell everything...: Daily Mass Homily--Monday, August 18th, 2014


            I was blessed my final year of seminary to travel to Rome with my classmates over J-term.  As part of the experience we took a five day silent retreat in nearby Assisi.  This was a powerful time of prayer in the footsteps of St. Francis and St. Clare of Assisi.  At the same time, you can probably already imagine how I would do being silent for five days.
            At the conclusion of our retreat I was among the chatterboxes making up for five days worth of words.  My classmates and I were sharing about some of the graces we had received, and one of them stands out today.
            One of my friends talked about how struck he was by Christ’s radical call to poverty.  He said, “Christ did not say to give of our excess, or even part of what we own…he said to give it all!”  He noted how he wanted to embrace this life of poverty.  Not five minutes passed and he chuckled saying, “But not with food or drink!”  We all had a good laugh, and he earned the name Francesco (Francis) to this day.
            Jesus told the young man, “If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.  Then come, follow me.”
            As a priest, it is easier and a lot more comfortable softening this dramatic invitation.  I would feel better telling you, “Jesus is telling us about detachment,” or, “The purpose of the young man’s encounter with Christ is to teach us about simplicity of life.”  Both would be true, but Jesus’ own words do not express this.
            We are called to give Christ and the poor everything!
            Without relaxing Jesus’ standards, remember that he calls each of us individually.  Some today really do sell what they have to follow Jesus.  I have in mind the many religious sisters and brothers—some of whom I have walked with; they actually give away their possessions before entering a convent or monastery.  At the same time, if you have children at home, or have a job in our community, you probably cannot sell everything.
            Here I would encourage you—don’t let the perfect be an obstacle to the good.  Don’t throw your hands up and respond to Christ, “I can’t give away everything, so I might as well do nothing!”  Are there items in your home or closet that you haven’t used in a year?  This is a good place to start.  Give those to people who would use them.  Could you go out to eat less in order to share that money so that someone else could eat?
            Take Jesus’ call seriously and give God and the poor everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment