Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The stage is set for Holy Week: Daily Mass Homily--Monday, April 14th, 2014


            Our readings this morning set the stage for Holy Week.
            Isaiah features the first of four servant songs which prophesy the coming Messiah.  Rather than an earthly prosperous king or a conquering general, the Christ was to suffer for his people.  God speaks through Isaiah: “Here is my servant whom I uphold, my chosen one with whom I am pleased, Upon whom I have put my Spirit; he shall bring forth justice to the nations, Not crying out, not shouting, not making his voice heard in the street.”
            John shares how Jesus, after raising Lazarus from the dead, stopped in to visit Mary, Martha and Lazarus.  While in their home, Mary took costly oil and anointed Jesus.  Jesus immediately understood this as a sign of his coming death and his body being prepared for burial.
            This week is the holiest week of the year.  In a special way we are united with Jesus’ passion, death and resurrection.  May Christ be praised this week and may we share in the powerful mysteries we celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment