Monday, September 9, 2013

Redemptive Suffering: Daily Mass Homily--Monday, September 9th, 2013


            As Catholics we have a rich understanding of suffering and that suffering can be redemptive.  In our first reading we heard one of the most important verses in Scripture on this topic.  St. Paul writes to the Colossians: “I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his Body, which is the Church…”
            Paul didn’t just make this teaching up—it came from Jesus.  In the Gospel of Matthew Jesus taught, “as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.”  On the road to Damascus, our Lord asked Paul himself, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?”
            We believe that our Church makes up the mystical Body of Christ.  When one of the members of the Church suffers, so does Christ.  Thus, when we suffer well we do so not merely for ourselves, but for Christ.
            May God give us the grace to offer all that we suffer to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment