Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Do you memorize the Bible? Yes!: Daily Mass Homily--Monday, September 16th, 2013


            As we began a new school year my candy basket is in action once more.  Once a week I visit the classrooms with my basket and if a student has memorized a verse, they get a piece of candy.
            At the start of the year, some of our students wonder how they could memorize parts of the Bible.  Over time we get into where to look for verses and how to remember them, but my first task is to show them they already know a lot of the Bible. 
            We can see this first hand in our Gospel: “Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof…but say the word and let my servant be healed.”  This is one of the many lines at Mass that we Catholics know by heart—and it is in the Bible.
            The Scriptures play an essential role in the Mass.  The first half of the Liturgy is devoted to the Liturgy of the Word.  Our greeting, Holy, Holy, Holy, Our Father, Lamb of God and consecration all come from the Bible.  These verses we do know well.
            We Catholics must daily read the Scriptures and strive to read, pray and memorize.  But we are very blessed in that we do each of these each time we come to Mass.  And when the kids figure this out, the candy practically jumps out of my basket.

No comments:

Post a Comment