Thursday, May 16, 2013

The resurrection allows us to trust the Church: Daily Mass Homily--Thursday, May 16th, 2013


            There are two essential facts in our readings this morning.  First, Jesus shows his desire for a unified Church: “I pray not only for these, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me.”  Second, St. Paul refers to the resurrection of Christ, albeit in a shrewd way: “My brothers, I am a Pharisee, the son of Pharisees; I am on trial for hope in the resurrection of the dead.”
            The resurrection is one of the foundations for Christianity that keeps us united together.  And it is no small belief.  We believe that God became a man.  Additionally, we believe that the God-man Jesus Christ rose from the dead.  Finally, we affirm that he returned to heaven from which he came.  These substantial truths take great faith to believe.
            Yet the sad reality is that division is present in our Church.  Look at the recent political situation regarding marriage in Minnesota.  I frequently observed Catholics publicly refuting Church teaching and supporting same-sex unions in our state in the name of Christ.  This confuses me, because many of these individuals believe in the incarnation, resurrection and ascension.  Yet if these eternal leaps are swallowed, can’t we trust in God’s infinite power to establish His Church?  Didn’t Jesus promise he would be with his Church until the end of time?  Isn’t Jesus capable of guiding morality even to this day?
            We pray for conversion in our society to conform to Christ and his Church.  We pray that the gifts of the incarnation, resurrection and ascension may draw all Catholics and Christians together to follow Christ’s teachings faithfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment