Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A prayer to grow in the virtues: Daily Mass Homily--Monday, May 20th, 2013


           Few prayers are as powerful as the one uttered by the ill boy’s father—“I do believe, help my unbelief!  As daily Mass goers, we all believe in Christ.  As sinners, we each have areas of our faith lives that can use improving.
            To help in this quest, consider our rich tradition of focusing on growing in the virtues as Catholics.  We do so on the human level with the cardinal virtues of prudence, justice, fortitude and temperance.  On the spiritual level we strive to live out God’s gifts of faith, hope and love.
            Each of these virtues is a middle road of living well but has extremes.  For example, courage is needed for our lives, but the extremes of cowardice and rashness are inappropriate.  Likewise, love is essential, but indifference or hate must be avoided.
            While the virtues have extremes, they are never in excess.  We can never have too much faith.  We can never hope too much.  We can never overdo love. 
The father’s prayer suggests that we all need to grow in the virtues.  While we are on the road, we must pray likewise: “Lord, I believe, help my unbelief.  Lord, I hope, but help my despair.  Lord, I love, but help my not loving.”

No comments:

Post a Comment